Wednesday, May 18, 2011

GLEE Birthday Cake

Pin It


The much anticipate cake for my sister's 17th birthday....


This year, it was all about the GLEE. It's one of her favorite shows (a Vampire Diaries cake would not have been nearly as fun) and there was an all new episode the night of her party. The episode may have been aptly titled"Funeral," but the cake was the life of the party.

I used a large layer of banana cake on bottom and a small, two layer chocolate banana cake (recipe is for muffins but I added an extra 3T water and 1T of vegetable oil.) These recipes are from the FAAN website for allergy awareness. My sister lives with severe allergies and it feels good finally giving her birthday-worthy cakes.
I'm no Duff but I wanted to capture GLEE with the iconic slushie. Came up with the idea and ran. The colors match the themed plates and I chose a large tube of blue piping gel, blue and clear sugar sprinkles and white cake sparkles which looked like confetti.
The gel gave the real, gooey slush look and the varying sprinkle added texture like slushy ice; I mixed in a lighter blue gel in to add another depth of swirly color. The gel really oozed down the side of the cake well and the extra splatters were a finishing touch. I was quite proud of the finished result. The frosting and piping work could use some refining on my part--I'm taking cake decorating classes this summer--but I think I won on the design and detailing. Everyone loved it and Sara was happy, which was really all that mattered.


No comments: